Stress and Atopic Disorders: Asthma and the Seasonal Allergic Response
journal contributionposted on 01.05.2005 by Rosalind J Wright, Sheldon Cohen
Any type of content formally published in an academic journal, usually following a peer-review process.
Upon completion of this Cyberounds®, you should be able to:
- Define atopy and describe the effects of stress on neuroimmunoregulation and the consequent modulation of the hypersensitivity response
- Describe local pulmonary interactions between the immune system and autonomic nervous system in the response to stress
- Describe relationships between psychological stress and oxidative stress
- Describe the potential role of stress and glucocorticoid resistance in asthma
- Describe genetic modification of the risks of psychological stress and asthmatic expression
- Discuss treatment strategies for modifying the relationship between stress and the immune response.